Thursday, August 16, 2012

Closer

Let's begin with a Psalm that we all know:

Psalms 23
A Psalm of David.

1 The Lord is my Shepherd , I shall not lack.

2 He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still and restful waters.

3 He refreshes and restores my life; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.

4 Yes, though I walk through the  valley of the shadow of death, I will fear or dread no evil, for You are with me; Your rod  and Your staff , they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my  cup runs over.

6 Surely or only goodness, mercy, and unfailing love shall follow me all the days of my life, and through the length of my days the house of the Lord shall be my dwelling place.

 Shakespeare used to recite this Psalm at the end of his plays. One day after doing his play a young boy stood and read the Psalm and  everybody cried. Shakespeare was really amazed because he has been reading the Psalm for a long time and no one has ever cried. He asked the boy how that happened, the boy said, 'You know the Psalm, I know the Shepherd'

When I heard this story for the first time I was like.....man! So many times I have been following God because of His great works  without knowing Him.  Knowing about someone is different from knowing the person. The more you know someone the easier the interaction.
Many of us are following God because of what He can do, we only know His good works, we don't know the Shepherd at a personal level.

It's easier to do good things, go to church but not know God. I love the saying which goes like 'God is not interested in our service, He is interested in us receiving His service and Love' God is really interested in the personal relationship than the great public works that we do in His name.
Do you ever spend time with God because of who He is, not for what He can do for you? There is no need of running around shouting of His goodness when you don't know Him personally. Get to know your creator at a personal level. You can know God personally by spending time with Him, through prayer and reading His word. Constantly keep in touch with Him

Joyce Meyer once said “ … At this moment, each one of us is as close to God as we choose to be.
God loves you so much and He wants to have a personal, intimate relationship with you. If you want to have a closer walk with Him, you’ll need to make some changes and some of them will be challenging...... ”